Sunday, June 12, 2011

The waves crashed onto the rocks as slow whispers came from the oceans floor. Wind blew high from the trees and the coldness swept through the dark lonesome woods near by. Ella was sitting on the rocks, the breeze brushing sprinkles of salt water into her delicate silky brown hair. She seemed quiet, alone and at peace, but something was haunting her, something that nagged me, something I needed to know. I peered out of the woods, yellow eyes crystallize in the stormy but some how very glistening sun. She did not hear me, nor did she see me, but she never really did, especially on the days she was like this. Oh, how I wanted to touch her long soft hair, touch her beautiful pale face and whisper to her how I’ve always wanted her. But I know I can’t, I can’t touch her, or make her hear me. So, I watch her, try to keep her safe the best way I can until that day where I will tell her and she will be mine.

It was another cloudy day, the sun hidden in the dark misty fog; another blanket of snow slowly touched the streets of Macadarn, it was a small town, filled with tiny houses, a bakery and 2 shops, almost 64 miles from the nearest down. Macadarn was covered by the woods and what most people were afraid of, that’s why only the true locals lived here. Macadarn was always covered with dark skies, cold, wet weather and hash winds from the sea not too far away. This place was unique and even though not many people came here because they were afraid of attacks on humans from the wildlife, it was always filled with 1 or 2 tourist trying to ‘escape’, but all ended up hating it because of the furious weather. This town seemed to change when new people came along, that’s how it was when Ella and her sister came here to visit their dad for summer holidays. Everything changed that day, well for me it did.

I remember how young she was when she first visited her dad here. I guess she was around 7, cute checks blossomed as she stepped out of her dad’s car with her sister Victoria, who was 15 at the time. Ella wore her favourite jeans and jumper, with her pink floppy hat that she lost 3 days after being there. She’d always walk around the town, no matter how violent the weather was, whenever I seen her she’d always be so peaceful and happy; it made me feel so open and carefree. Her sister was never like this, she was always inpatient, rude and was always seen being smug and out of place from everyone else in the town. Every summer, when the rain was the softest of all, she’d come visit with her sister. Her father, was the local doctor in this small town, nicknamed Susan, he was always feared for leaving the town without medical need since his daughters lived so far away in Washington with their high classed mother Bethany, but he loved this town and would never bear to leave.
When Ella turned 12, her mother died. She was at her father’s house when the phone rang. I was quietly watching from outside, trying not to be seen when I heard tears and a light sob from the kitchen. Her Aunty had just told her about a car crash and that her mother wasn’t going to make it through the day. For the rest of the summer, people from the town, including my father, the local fisherman brought food and always helped out with the house and Susan’s daughters. Ella, unlike her sister, never went back home. She just stayed with her father, never being the same again. I wanted to so much to let Ella be that girl she once was. I still love her, whenever I see her, but there is a dark past that fills her with grief. I wish I could change that, everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment